First Album of Traditional Church Hymns for Legendary Contemporary Christian Music Entertainer
LEBANON, Tenn. (March 05, 2014) – Just in time for the Easter season, Cracker Barrel Old Country Store® and Michael W. Smith announce the release of Hymns, Smith’s newest album, which will be available on March 24 exclusively at all Cracker Barrel Old Country Store® locations and online at crackerbarrel.com. The digital album will also be available for purchase at select digital retailers. This is the first time in his legendary career that Smith has recorded an album of traditional hymns, including many that he sang in church when he was young. The album contains 15 songs and will sell for $11.99.
'I first heard many of these hymns when I attended First Baptist Church in Kenova, West Virginia with my Mom, Dad, and sister Kimberly,' said Smith. 'The message of the songs combined with the timeless music helped build the foundation of my Christian beliefs. I have always wanted to record an album of hymns, and am thankful that Cracker Barrel Old Country Store® wanted to share it with their guests.'
'We are honored that Michael W. Smith has chosen to release his first-ever traditional hymns album with Cracker Barrel,' said Cracker Barrel Marketing Manager Julie Craig. 'Hymns is filled with beautiful and beloved songs that we know our guests will enjoy and treasure for years.'
Hymns was produced by Kyle Lee and Jim Daneker, with track no. 15 produced by Smith. The album’s executive producers are Greg Ham and Chaz Corzine. The songs on Hymns are as follows:
1) 'The Old Rugged Cross' (written by George Bennard)
2) 'My Jesus, I Love Thee' (written by William R. Featherston)
3) 'Were You There' (written by C. Winfred Douglas)
4) 'Victory in Jesus' (written by E.M. Bartlett)
5) 'How Great Thou Art' (written by Stuart K. Hine)
6) 'Just As I Am' (written by Charlotte Elliott)
7) 'Near the Cross' (written by Fanny Crosby)
8) 'It is Well' (written by Horatio Spafford)
9) 'Softly and Tenderly' (written by Will L. Thompson)
10) 'When I Survey the Wondrous Cross' (written by Isaac Watts)
11) 'What a Friend We Have in Jesus' (written by Joseph M Scriven)
12) 'Wonderful, Merciful Savior' (written by Dawn Rodgers and Eric Wyse)
13) 'Great is Thy Faithfulness' (written by Thomas O.Chisholm and William M. Runyan)
14) 'God of Our Fathers' (written by Daniel C. Roberts)
15) 'The Lord Bless You and Keep You' (written by Peter C. Lutkin)
The album features timeless Christian classics, with songs ranging in creation date from 1708 ('When I Survey the Wondrous Cross') to 1989 ('Wonderful, Merciful Savior'). The remaining thirteen songs were written between 1840 and 1953.
Smith is an acclaimed singer, songwriter, and musician who has sold more than 15 million albums, achieved 28 No. 1 songs, earned three GRAMMY Awards, one American Music Award, and more than 40 Dove Awards. Throughout his career, the Contemporary Christian artist has had the opportunity to sing for Presidents and national leaders, and counts among his friends the Reverend Billy Graham and his son, Franklin Graham. He actively supports the teen club Rocketown, Compassion International, and Samaritan’s Purse, the ministry headed by Franklin Graham. Michael and his wife Debbie live in Middle Tennessee, where they raised their five children. For more information, visit www.michaelwsmith.com
Source: Press Release